I do research on every ship we are considering to find out if the amenities, cruise size, and activities are for my family before we book. I have to admit, when I came across the North Star on Royal Caribbean’s Ovation of the Seas, it wasn’t on the top of my list. It would be a $40 per person charge since we were sailing during the Ovation of the Seas China season. The price seemed high compared to all the included activities such as the rock climbing wall, bumper cars, roller skating, and Splashaway Bay.
I was wrong.
It was one of my favorite activities I did while cruising on Royal Caribbean’s Ovation of the Seas. I was able to literally experience a birds-eye-view of the ship.
Your journey starts by entering the capsule. The glass-windowed capsule has 360 degree views. The capsule moves slowly throughout the approximately 12-minute trip.
As North Star’s arm moved over to the port of the ship, you are suspended over the ship, looking back at all the cabins and upper decks.
Next, the arm extends upwards to an 80-degree angle and you are now over 300 feet above sea level. As you look down to the ship, you feel as though you are “soaring” and almost spying on the fun below.
A North Star Date – Left the kids behind
On a sea day, my husband and I dropped the kids off at the Adventure Ocean and had an afternoon date since my toddlers were unable to go on the North Star due to height requirements. Leaving the kids behind, allowed us to truly take in the vast height and remarkable views. There was only one other couple in the pod with us, which made the experience more romantic and all around enjoyable.
I highly recommend the experience.
About North Star
Below are a few North Star Facts (Source: Royal Caribbean)
- Guinness World Record holder for being the “Highest Viewing Deck on a Cruise Ship”
- Available on three Royal Caribbean ships: Quantum of the Seas, Ovation of the Seas, and Anthem of the Seas.
- 14 guests including room for one wheelchair, plus one Operator
- Complimentary on all sailings (Except for Ovation of the Seas sailings during its China season)
- Open while at sea and in port
- Air conditioning and heat available in the pod
- No limit to the amount of times a guest can experience North Star
- Premium packages available
FreshCruiser Tip: It will be the most crowded at the beginning of the cruise. Plan to go on North Star a few days later to escape the crowds.