Holland America announces new Vegetarian-Only Alternative Menu
Holland America announced today that they are expanding their vegetarian options on board. The new features include a new vegetarian-only menu. The additions will be a welcome to vegetarians as it can be a constant struggle trying to find something to order on a dining room menu when many times there is only one main vegetarian entree offered a night. In a study published by Vegetarian Times, it showed that 7.3 million Americans are vegetarians. In addition, according to the study, 22.8 million follow a vegetarian-inclined diet.
According to Holland America, the alternative menu includes a full range of appetizers, salads, soups and main entrees, and is available upon request at no extra cost for lunch and dinner in the main dining room aboard all 15 ships in the fleet.”
In addition to the alternative menu, new vegetarian dishes will be added to their normal main dining room menu. A total of 52 dishes will be featured.
"Many more people are choosing a vegetarian culinary experience, yet the options can be limited," said Richard Meadows, Holland America Line's executive vice president of marketing, sales and guest programs. "By offering a complete vegetarian-only menu and the largest vegetarian selection at sea, we are ensuring that all guests can take part in an exceptional dining experience while cruising with Holland America Line."
New vegetarian-only menu includes:
- Portobello Mushroom and Chipotle Quesadillas
- Vietnamese Vegetable Spring Rolls
- Curried Vegetable Empanadas
- Spicy Lentil and Garbanzo Salad
- Sweet and Sour Vegetable Tempura
- Vegetable Jambalaya
- Grilled Vegetable and Tofu Kebobs
- Baked Cheese Polenta with Mushrooms and Artichoke Hearts.
Main Dining Room menu includes:
- Corn and Zucchini Pancakes served with Southwest-style cous cous salad
- Asparagus and Zucchini Torte with wild rice and sun-dried tomato coulees
- Carrot and Parmesan Risotto topped with a lemony arugula salad
- Crispy carrot ribbons, and Grilled Eggplant and Bell Pepper Masala braised in yogurt with Indian spices and served with coconut-pistachio basmati rice
FreshCruiser Tip: Remember just since a dish is vegetarian or vegan, doesn’t mean it’s healthy. French Fries are vegan.